“ There is nothing new in world except the history you do not know.” – Harry Truman

Lack of professionalism, so abundant in Kashmir, creates another Shopian situation at the Lal Ded (LD) Hospital

Woman dies of ‘medical negligence’ at LD hospital

Srinagar: In the wake of yet another case of alleged medical negligence which killed a woman at Srinagar’s Lal Ded Hospital, Speaker, Legislative Assembly has ordered an inquiry into the incident.

According to reports, a pregnant woman Rehana Akhter, wife of Nazir Ahmed Reshi of Sumbal Sonawari was brought to Lal Ded Hospital yesterday evening where she delivered a girl child after being operated upon by the doctors.

However, immediately after her surgery, she complained of severe abdominal pain. However, her relatives allege that doctors in the hospital were too careless to attend to her even though she was writing in pain.

Later the patient was operated upon once again but even this didn’t help and today morning poor Rehana died a very painful death, which evoked massive protests against the doctors and other hospital staff from her relatives who were also joined by the attendants of other patients.

The protestors placed the body of the deceased women on the main road and sat on a ‘dharna’ (sit-in) demanding action against the negligent doctors. They were also joined by passersby.

While the protests were going on, Speaker Legislative Assembly Mohammad Akbar Lone visited the Lal Ded Hospital Srinagar straightway from airport after he was informed about the woman’s death, who hailed from his constituency, Sumbal, Sonawari.

The Speaker gave a patient hearing to both doctors as well as the relatives of the deceased woman.

The Speaker called Deputy Commissioner, Srinagar and Principal, Government Medical College, Srinagar on the spot and directed Deputy Commissioner to appoint an inquiry committee headed by Additional District Development Commissioner (ADDC), Srinagar with HOD Medicine, HOD Surgery and HOD Gynecology as its members to find out cause of death of deceased and to get report completed within 10 days.

Later, Lone had negotiations with agitated relatives of the deceased and pacified them by announcing appointment of inquiry committee and assured them that the guilty will be punished.

Read about the Shopian Tragedy: